Old 08-01-2015, 04:37 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Allow Myself, to introduce...Myself

Greetings all!

I just purchased a 2006 Maxum 1900 SR3 with a 4.3 MPI with only 108 hours on it. The condition of the vessel is superb and I can't wait to take spend a lot of time on it with the family.

This is my first boat, and I look forward to learning a lot from you veterans out there.

Thank you all in advance for your help and patience as I learn through the years.

I'm waiting for the original owner to bring up the carpet.

First mod is going to be a stereo upgrade to JL speakers and a subwoofer

tapcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:12 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard

Supper clean, while she has low hours I would replace the impeller which is a rubber water pump in the outdive. Mercruiser recommends to replace it every 2 years.

Mike
mmwjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:42 PM   #3
CGG
Lt. Commander

JL speakers is a good move!
CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:52 PM   #4
Admiral

Welcome to the club! Nice boat! Maybe think about going through a safe boating course with the family. Learn a lot plus insurance rate go down. And might meet some more newbie's in your area of boating to help each other out.... a win win!

Good luck and enjoy the rest of the summer.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:14 AM   #5
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Welcome aboard

Supper clean, while she has low hours I would replace the impeller which is a rubber water pump in the outdive. Mercruiser recommends to replace it every 2 years.
Thank you for the advice. I will be replacing it next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
JL speakers is a good move!
Can't wait to get them installed and hear them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerseagar View Post
Welcome to the club! Nice boat! Maybe think about going through a safe boating course with the family. Learn a lot plus insurance rate go down. And might meet some more newbie's in your area of boating to help each other out.... a win win!

Good luck and enjoy the rest of the summer.

Roger
Thanks for the advice. I took the online boater safety course, and I plan to go out with one of the guys from the dealership to get a good lesson in launching, recovering, docking, proper planing techniques and other things.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:25 AM   #6
Captain

Looks good! I would upgrade those registration number to a nicer font, better looking vinyl. The horrible block font spaced way to wide really jumps out.

How are you at towing a trailer? Might not hurt to seek out education on that if you don't have a lot of experience.

Its hard to tell from the pics, but there don't appear to be any transom straps. These are critical; you want the trailer and boat to move as a single unit. You're not really strapping the boat down, but strapping the trailer up to the boat.

Go to west marine and get yourself a set of trailering clips (~$25). These take the pressure off your hydraulic system, and reduce bouncing off the drive while towing.
Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:10 PM   #7
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar7r View Post
Looks good! I would upgrade those registration number to a nicer font, better looking vinyl. The horrible block font spaced way to wide really jumps out.

How are you at towing a trailer? Might not hurt to seek out education on that if you don't have a lot of experience.

Its hard to tell from the pics, but there don't appear to be any transom straps. These are critical; you want the trailer and boat to move as a single unit. You're not really strapping the boat down, but strapping the trailer up to the boat.

Go to west marine and get yourself a set of trailering clips (~$25). These take the pressure off your hydraulic system, and reduce bouncing off the drive while towing.

I will be replacing the registration numbers when I take delivery of it tomorrow.

I'm quite good a towing as I have towed a trailer to the racetrack for many a track day.

It does come with transom straps, I think the dealer just took them off for pictures.

Thanks for your advice.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:37 AM   #8
Lt. JG

Welcome Tapcon, you have a real beauty there! I just moved up from a 19 footer (Stingray) myself. I agree with all the advice here. What I always tell people is to treat the outdrive as if it's made of gold. That's the easiest way to get yourself into some big expensive trouble.

HappyHour is offline   Reply With Quote