Old 12-27-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 3700 Maxum

Hi to all,

I am looking at a 1998 3700 Max with 380 hp Cummins diesels. I am looking for anyone who has experience with this boat. I would like both positive and or negative feedback. I will be having the boat surveyed, but I want feed back from owners.

Thanks, Al

Al-3700max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 04:55 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard

Sorry I cannot provide any feedback on this model, hopefully someone will.

Are you having just a basic survey performed or one that includes an engine survey as well? An engine survey is above what most typical surveys are able to provide but some specialize in just this. For an investment this big I would recommend you doing so unless you feel you have the knowledge to check out the Diesel engines.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 05:04 PM   #3
Captain

As long as the surveys are clean....I would love to step up to something larger with diesels...
Old 12-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Welcome aboard

Sorry I cannot provide any feedback on this model, hopefully someone will.

Are you having just a basic survey performed or one that includes an engine survey as well? An engine survey is above what most typical surveys are able to provide but some specialize in just this. For an investment this big I would recommend you doing so unless you feel you have the knowledge to check out the Diesel engines.

I will have the engines checked out before I purchase. If I can't find a surveyor, I will hire Cummins or a marine mechanic. I don't know much about diesels.

Al
Old 12-27-2014, 09:49 PM   #5
Admiral

At a minimum get an oil analysis, but yes hire someone who has no interest in the boat I.e. Not a mechanic at the marine where it is being sold as he may have an incentive.

Mike
Old 12-28-2014, 02:42 AM   #6
Commander

Can't comment on the engines as our 3700 is gas. As for the boat, we love it. The wide beams makes long weekends a pleasure. We boat year round in all weather conditions. There is plenty of access to all the major components.
dronthelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
Lt. JG

I have a 1999 3700 SCR with Gas engines. The survey results and oil analysis with diesel inpsection are very important. Keep in mind they are only as good the the quality of work the the professional is doing. You will find that comment key to any work you have done now and in the future. The question you are asking in my opinion has the most to do with how well the boat you are looking at has been maintained, cared for, and used. Your personal boat standards is also important. If you like prestine boats make sure it is in that condition or you have the mechanical and handy man ability to make it that way. Has it been a salt water boat or a fresh water boat. Salt water is a much more corrosive environment which will shorten the life span of most metals and their fittings. Knowing the condition of the diesels is key as they are expensive to replace / repair. The age of the boat is such that there will be thing that most likely need attention or repaired every year. For the most part Maxum uses good quality materials in their boats. They where owned by Brunswick corporation which owned Sea Ray, Fountain, Bayliner and others. I often find the same components on Sea Rays as my Maxum. Keep in mind getting maxum particular parts is very hard to do now, that they are out of business. Parts like molded doors, cabinetry, acrylic parts, face plates, ect. are almost impossible to get now. I bought approx $5000 of maxum specific spare parts before they went out of business. Things like marine components the key to replacement becomes finding the manufacture of those parts or if you can get them from Sea Ray or Regal or some other boat dealer of a boat you find that has your same parts. If I was to say something critcal about Maxum it would be the qaulity of their fiberglass layup. In particular their Gel coat process. I have learned to do my own fiberglass repairs so my boat is still very sound and looks very nice. Note I wax and polish my boat regularly to stay on top of it. I have had to repair bottom blisters. I have deployed barrier paints below the waterline and anti fouling paints over it to help prevent further blistering. This is done at least every five years. If you cannot do this yourself it can be an expensive process. My boat is a fresh water boat kept year round in a slip under a roof and sports a bow and road cover when not being used. But I have a very high standard of what I want my boat to look and perform like. I often get people on the dock that do not believe my boat is a 1999. Generally owning any boat this size can be a expensive endevor and you should plan on that going in unless you know you have the time, tools, and ability to do alot yourself. You will find in forums like this one everyone is very willing to help share their experience and know how to tackle almost all issues. Things would be much more difficult if it where not for forums like this and the internet sources to help you through your learning experiences. I find owning my 3700 SCR a very rewarding experience, but very challenging sometimes. I have got to the point I do all my own repairs myself because I know the quality of workmenship being applied and that it will be done with no short cuts to compromise longevity and dependability. In return I have been rewarded with tons of quality family and friend fun and experiences that are irreplaceable.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:15 AM   #8
Lt. JG

I got worn out just reading the last post. Just be sure and get a good engine survey as well. Sounds like a great boat.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:55 AM   #9
Ensign

Thanks for the input. I have been a boat owner for over 35 years. (You would think I would have enough since to get out of it by now!) My boats have always been in covered moorage in fresh water. I am in the Seattle area, so we do boat in the salt at times, but the boat is always cleaned thoroughly when retuning to our moorage. I am very a where the damage salt can do if not cleaned regularly. I do all my own maintenance and repairs (the diesels maybe an exception except for oil changes). I have two adult sons who have allot of experience with these Cummings have convinced me they are almost bullet proof. This particular boat I am looking at is currently in fresh water. I don't know if it has always been. I am still trying to get more history on it. I plan to fly out and look at it in the next couple of weeks. I am trying to get as much history on the 3700's as I can before flying to look as this one. I am trying to find out if 3700's have any inherent issues and what current or past owners opinions are. I would assume with diesels it would be stern heavy, but is it too heavy to perform with several people aboard?

Al
Old 12-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #10
Lt. JG

I do not think I would worry about the 3700 SCR being stern heavy with diesels. The boat it self is a heavy boat. With the Gas powered 3700’s they have a floating attitude that is slightly bow down. The water in my bilge first runs forward till it hits the fire wall when enough accumulates it reaches the back drain holes. This is with the gas tanks full maximizing the weight in the stern. Diesels with 380 HP is very similar to the HP rating of the 454 Mag MPI. The Gas version reaches about 31 Miles per hour at WOT. I have had 15 people on the Maxum at one time and find it has plenty of power to perform under that type of load. I do seem to recall that the earlier version of the Borg Warner velvet drive Approx. 1995 to 1997-98 had premature failure problems due to overheating of transmission fluid from a undersized oil pump. If your diesels use that same V-drive you may want to do some follow up research on those specifics. I have had no issues with mine. Other than early model transmissions I am not aware of owners having any consistent common problems other than yellowing of the dream white Gel coat in spots and the fact that the shower drain located on the stern side of the shower does not drain well because of the bow down floating attitude. You will find project threads on other sites where owners have moved the drain to the bow side of the shower to improve the draining of the shower. If you get a good surveyor and the survey shows good condition on all systems, structures, and the diesels check out within spec. then with your experience you can make a good decision based on condition you find the boat in upon your visit. Best of luck to you.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:37 PM   #11
Admiral

35 years sounds like you have the sense and funds to enjoy this wonderful activity.

I would think that while the diesels are heavier they have a lot of bottom end torque to move this boat loaded with out any issues.

A lot of folks talk really down about salt water but man has been boating in it for a very long time and with proper care a good service life can be achieved. IMO salt water allows us endless places to explore.

Mike
Old 12-30-2014, 02:01 AM   #12
Commander

Our '98 3700 with gas actually floats slightly bow up with 1/4 fuel, 1/4 black, 1/2 water, and +100' of anchor chain. I have to admit I am carring a little extra weight behind the engines. I have 1 port battery, 5 starboard (house) batteries, and two 10 gallon jugs of water in the far back port corner to balance the boat out. With the extra weight the shower always drains. Unless I spray the cockpit with the hose our bilge is always dry. The only hull penetrations I have below the water line are the rudders, shafts, 3 strainers and 1 through hull transducer. When we replaced the top a couple years ago we extend the top all the way to the back so that the aft glass is vertical. For the money and our needs we couldn't find a better boat. It has more interior room then most boats it's size. We didn't need at sport cruiser to zip around the lake. We wanted a floating weekend home.
dronthelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:01 AM   #13
Lt. JG

I purchased a 3700 SY in 13' and for the money, couldn't find a better boat. Nothing in the price range with a 13' beam. The layout inside the cabin is excellent for the size. The cockpit area has plenty of room for a nice group of people. Granted I have twin 8.1 mercs but the bilge is on the roomier side and things are easy to work on (for a boat at least).

If possible, on top of all the surveying info you received, find someone that can read the ecms if possible. They will reveal a great sum.
ViperRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:05 PM   #14
Lieutenant

When we bought I had Cummins come out and do a mechanical assessment. Having said that there wasn't much they can do except listen (which is worth the cost if your diesel guy is any good) run the engines up and see that they hit WOT etc. It gave me some confidence and yes an oil analysis is something that I do every year. The previous owner also did oil analysis and provided that information. There is no point in pulling an oil analysis this time of year assuming the oil was changed in the fall.
Try to get a maintenance history on the engines, things like valve adjustment, heat exchanger cleaning and belt replacement etc. You will spend more on filters and winterizing however you can run on step all day long with those Diamond series engines and they run like a champ.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:24 PM   #15
Ensign

Al, I am curious if you ever looked at the 3700SCR and if you decided to purchase it? I am curious as I am also looking at a similar boat to this model..

VegasMark is offline   Reply With Quote