Old 04-17-2014, 06:01 PM   #41
Lieutenant

Agreed, thanks for your help..

spydermann22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:55 PM   #42
Lieutenant

Well, I finally got it back together. Ran it with the muffs, ran great. Took it to the lake and drove for about 1-1/2 continuous hours without any issue.
Everything I had taken apart looked like new. I am guessing this equates into low hours on the boat.
My original plan for work on the boat this spring was going to be Gimble Bearing replacement. This one seems noisy while at about 2500 RPM but quiets down when above this. I have a puller and a pusher and had replaced on my previous boat a couple of times.
Any suggestions on the bearing? it seems there are more options than what was available the last time I purchased.
I have a 2000 5.7L Alpha

Old 05-13-2014, 11:52 AM   #43
Admiral

First I am glad to hear the boat is up and running again with minor costs.

I have only use OEM bearings, just to much effort to replace it to guess althought I doubt major aftermaket ones would be an issue.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:54 PM   #44
Lieutenant

IT HAPPENED AGAIN! Water filled the engine again :-(
2000, 2300 SC, 5.7 Alpha one.
Well, the Intake Gasket was definitely the culprit last time, letting water seep into the engine from rain water getting into the engine compartment and sitting on the engine/intake.

I could tell the gasket started to leak again about a month ago as the engine started to run slightly rough at idle. Not bad enough to change it again mid-season. I found the location of the leak using carb cleaner, leaking in the same locations. Above-between 5 & 3 for sure.
Saturday, while friends and family were ready to hop into the truck and head out for a full day of boating, I checked the oil before trying to start the engine, noticed the oil was over filled, but only by a little bit. "Strange" I thought.. I turned the key and it wouldn't turn the motor, then the motor turned backwards slightly when the key was released. I could see water sitting on the intake and considering what had happened in the past. I thought "We got a lot of rain last week" so I started to pull all of the plugs. Sure enough, 3 or 4 cylinders were full of water, as well as the oil. I cranked the motor several times to pump out any water (my son cranked, I observed) then I changed the oil quickly - too quickly as I didn't consider there would still be water in there and quickly milk-shaked the $50 gallon of oil. I sent the wife back to the marina to get another new gallon while I changed the oil again using used oil to see if it would milkshake again. The second time the oil didn't have water contamination. Add the new oil and everything seems good, no water in the oil, engine runs pretty good, missing only slightly at idle. About 2 hours had gone by, still lots of boating time left in the day, we had a great time! No issues with the motor, it ran well, oil looks good. I am now covering the boat with the original cover which I had been using all along then putting a tarp to cover the entire boat from rain.

Question: Does anyone else have the issue where a bunch of water drains onto the motor? I have to believe it is the vent that goes across the back of this model. I need to find this leak.
I did use an OEM gasket from Marinemax, this time I think I will use a Fel-Pro gasket unless I can find something highly recomended.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:05 PM   #45

You mention the motor 'diesel's' slightly (runs backwards) when you shut the key off. I believe if this occurs while the boat is in the water inversion can suck water back up into the motor.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:14 PM   #46
Admiral

Not sure I am following you. You said the manifold is leaking between cylinders 3 & 5 yet water in 3 & 4 which are on opposite sides of each other.

Are you sure it not bad exhaust that's letting water into the engine.

Is the intake an 8 or 12 bolt?

Mike
Old 07-27-2015, 05:51 PM   #47
Lieutenant

The intake gasket leaks from the outside of the gasket (top side of the head).
Both sides must be leaking as I had water in both banks.
Last year I had this issue and removed all of the exhaust. All of the exhaust looked like new.
Here is what I believe is going on, I know this sounds highly unlikely..
The water must be running down my cockpit cover to the back of the boat, running down the back of the boat and into the rear vent (below the tow hook). The water then (like a waterfall) dumps onto the motor and the intake leak seeps (probably sucks) the water into the intake cavity flooding the cylinders and then the block or oilpan.
I think the water coming in thru this vent has caused the intake to leak in the first place with the water sitting on the gasket corroding it.

Is the intake an 8 or 12 bolt?[/QUOTE] I am not 100% sure and will check, I believe it was 8

The vent noted isn't on all of the boats of this model. The vent in the picture is the gray stripe under the tow hook, above the narrow hatch-above the swim platform.
Attached Thumbnails
maxum vent.jpg  
Old 07-27-2015, 08:52 PM   #48
Admiral

Do you see water laying on the intake manifold? Having a hard time believing rain is getting to where you believe.

Either way why is the intake leaking? May need to have it check out by a machine shop for flatness.

Mike
Old 07-27-2015, 10:02 PM   #49
Admiral

I would try draping some plastic over the vent to see if that stops water from getting onto the engine, if this works then you may want to either have the canvas extended or fabricate some type of dam that allows the water to run over it and not into the vent.

Mike
Old 07-28-2015, 03:12 PM   #50
Lieutenant

I am currently covering the entire boat with a tarp over the cover.
I think the issue starts when it rains/storms after we use the boat. Hot or warm engine, cold water getting dumped on it. This leak has happened 2X, both times with a large/heavy rain occurring just after we used the boat all day. I think the cover actually makes the situation worse by directing the larger volume of water right to this vent.
I am curious of this happening to others. I noticed online yesterday that not many pictures of this model have the rear vent - I think I know why.
I will try to mount some sort of shield on the inside so it doesn't rip it off accidental.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:26 PM   #51

I don't think this is a water dripping on the intake issue. Not the amount of water you're describing. Take a look at this Service Bulletin:

http://www.marinemechanic.com/merc/d...erinengine.PDF

Inversion through the exhaust system can occur when the engine diesels. I would really look more closely at that. Are you getting a hydro-lock condition? IS water coming out of the spark plug holes? (This would indicate water is entering at the TOP of the pistons, then draining past the rings into the oil).
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:31 PM   #52
Lt. Commander

I had rain water pooling up on my intake manifold. sealed the hatch panel divider (scr 2800). I don't think water would enter carb but it's possible. but again a gallon is a lot.
just a thought.
BB
Baby Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:23 PM   #53
Admiral

Does the vent align with the middle of the engine with the cylinders that are getting water into them.

The intake has lots of pockets in its casting and I would think they would be filled with water if your assumption is correct.

Mike
Old 07-28-2015, 04:28 PM   #54
Admiral

Looking back at post 33 and 37, the picture of the manifold in 33 shows heavy rust in the exhaust passage when looking down from the top. water sat here for some time.

In 37 it appears to be the 8 bolt vortec intake. The older 12 bolt had water passages in the center. There is signs of rust in the heads intake port this could mean the intake manifold has rusted through from the front water passage into the intake plenum

Mike
Old 07-28-2015, 05:21 PM   #55
Lieutenant

All of the rust had wiped out very easily with some wd40 on a rag.
The vent is above the motor.
The pockets in the top of the intake were full of water.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:00 PM   #56
Admiral

OK sounds like you are correct.

No the less this would not make the intake leak and there must be some reason you cannot get a good seal. Still think the intake should be inspected by a shop.

Mike
Old 07-28-2015, 09:21 PM   #57
Lieutenant

Mike, I think having a shop look at it is a good call. I may have a crack in it as well.
Thanks for all of your help!
I will let you know when I am up and running again and what I find.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:11 AM   #58
Captain

You said the boat sat for 7-8 years... This is a lot of time for exhaust to corrode up and fail.

I lost the engine in my old boat to the exact symptoms you are describing. Others have said not that much water would leak past the rings... This is true just sitting, but crank it and add some compression and you'd be shocked how much will get by.

My money is on failed exhaust manifolds.

Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote